07 May 2008

Survive a Nuclear Blast

When I was a kid one of my greatest fears was a getting caught in a Nuclear Explosion. My home town (San Antonio, TX) is home to important Army and Air Force bases making it a top ten nuclear target. As a child many times I would have wake up with nightmares of witnessing a mushroom cloud and standing in awe as I wait for my death when the explosion blast hits me like a freight train. As an adult I still have these nightmares about once a year.

So it may seem like a fear rooted in Cold War paranoia, but with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) sniffing around the Middle East, North Korea and other parts of the world for hidden enrichment facilities and smuggled radioactive materials, the threat of an atomic bomb hitting a major city is a harsh reality.

If your city is the target of a nuclear attack, you'll need to do more than duck and cover. Between the sheer destructive force of the blast and the horrors of fallout, the odds of survival can be depressingly slim. Here's a short list of tips to beat the odds of this oft-feared doomsday scenario. If you want some serious information, here is the free online version of "Nuclear War Survival Skills".

No comments: